“I’m convinced that about half of what separates successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.”
The blog article Networking at B- School was written by Kishan Pallav from SIBM Hyderabad.
We have often come across the term ‘networking’ but do you know what is it?
Networking is the process of building and maintaining professional relationships with others. This can be done in person, online, or a combination of both. Networking is one of the important things people can do for their career.
Let us know in detail why networking is so significant:
- Career advancement: Networking can help people find new job opportunities, advance in their current job, and learn new skills and gain knowledge.
- To build a personal brand: Networking helps people introduce themselves to new people and build relationships with experts in their field. This can help them increase their visibility and authority, while establishing themselves as an expert in their field.
- Learn from others: Networking is a great way to learn from others’ experiences and get advice from people who have held a prominent position. We can also learn about new trends and developments in an industry.
- To grow network of support: A strong network can provide with emotional support, career advice, and access to resources. When one has a strong network, they are less likely to feel alone and more likely to succeed.
- Business growth: If someone owns a business, networking is a great way to generate leads, find partners, and explore new markets.
What are the channels to network with people?
- Industry events: One of the best ways to network with people is to attend industry events. This can include conferences, trade shows, meetups, or just social gatherings of people in your field. When attending networking events, remember to introduce yourself to new people.
- Online Network: Another great way to network is through online platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter. These platforms allow you to connect with people from all over the world. When you connect with people on these platforms, make sure to send them personalized messages.
- B-School alumni: Apart from attending industry events and online networking, one of the easiest ways to expand your network is to connect with your b-school alumni working across multiple industries. One can join their college’s alumni association, attend alumni events, reach out to alumni on LinkedIn, volunteer for their college’s alumni association or even reach out to their college professors/faculties if they can introduce to different alums working in their field of interest.
Networking is an important skill that everyone must develop. By networking effectively, you can open up new opportunities and build strong relationships that will last a lifetime.